Brief Biography of Dennis J. Darland
Email: Mail To: pal at dennisdarland dot com
Philanthropist At Large
Organizations to which I belong
- Member of Internet Team, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Quad Cities, (June 2009 - present).
- Computer Tutoring, Intouch Adult Day Services, (June 2009 - April 2010).
- Computer Tutoring, RSVP - Retired and Senior Volunteer Program,
(March 2009 - April, 2010).
- Vice President/Electronic Projects, The Bertrand Russell Society,
(June 2008 - present).
- Work on my own philosophical ideas(May 2007-present)
(Thought about them much longer).
- Developed open source software in Unicon and Ruby for arbitrary precision floating point arithmetic and numeric solution of systems of ordinary differential equations,(2000-present)(I had worked on this in some form since 1978).
- Treasurer, The Bertrand Russell Society, (February 1980 - February 2007).
- Senior Technical Programmer (July 1997 - January 1998), Montgomery KONE,
Moline, Illinois, Developed elevator firmware, primarily using PL/M.
- Senior Software Engineer (June 1994 - February 1997), TeleDirect
International, Davenport, Iowa, Developed predictive dialing software,
primarily using C++.
- Independent Consultant (June 1993 - June 1994), Design and implementation of
voice response software primarily in c. Conversion of applications written for system developed at Lee to
purchased Unix system.
- Senior Systems Engineer (May 1985 - June 1993), Lee Enterprises, Davenport, Iowa
(originally called Callitco then Voice Response, Inc.), Design and Implementation of Voice Response System in c.
Wrote high performance file system, table driven compiler, mainframe interfaces, etc.
- Data Processing Director (June 1979 - May 1985), Rock Island County, Rock
Island Illinois. Started 1979 as entry level programmer (COBOL, RPG, - started as only programmer - all others had left)
, helped conversion from IBM system 3 to IBM 4331 (including systems (DOS/VSE,POWER,CICS,ICCF)
and application programming (payroll,investments)), soon promoted to systems programmer, promoted to
Data Processing Director in 1981, (took on budget, department management, continued systems and some application
programming (payroll and wrote tax extension software))
- Marycrest International University, Davenport, Iowa, (1992-1996), Attended graduate school in Computer Science.
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, (1977-1978), Attended graduate
school in Computer Science.
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, (1974-1975), Attended graduate
school in Philosophy.
- Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, (1969-1973), Bachelor of Arts in
Mathematics, Physics, and Philosophy , graduated magna cum laude.